1. Enter our RAC contest for 2019 and win cash for your RAC Club! Email us at email@example.com to share your high resolution RAC photos and story explaining how you celebrated RAC Week February 10-16, 2019. Please submit a written entry no longer than 250 words to Harriette Chang (firstname.lastname@example.org) with at least one photo of your RAC activity no later than Friday, March 8, 2019. First prize is $300, second prize is $200, and third prize is $100. We will be contacting all entries Friday, April 5. We will also be featuring some of the best photos and winning entries on our website and annual poster which may be circulated around BC the following year. Please ensure that your students have completed the necessary photo permission forms. Good luck!
2. Watch our two RAC videos created by our students to find out what RAC is about:
3. Check out the RAC Ideas page on our website for our favourite RAC ideas!
4. Lobby at your local city council meeting to promote awareness of RAC Week to your community.
5. If you are an educator, google ‘kindness lesson plans’ to find some great ideas to teach in your students in your classroom and or school. Always remember to encourage your students to REFLECT on their RAC experience afterwards. Ask them how 'RAC'ing made them feel.
*The RAC winners for 2018 for the best photo and story are: Maple Creek Middle School, Coquitlam, B.C..
Mme Burdock's class from Maple Creek Middle School in the Coquitlam School District spread caring and kindness to several places in Coquitlam during RAC Week Feb 11-17, 2018.
*The RAC winners for 2017 for the best photo and story are: Pinetree Secondary School, Coquitlam, B.C.
*The RAC winners for 2016 for the best photo and story are:
1st place: Harbour View Elementary, Coquitlam, B.C. ($500).
Crista Jones, counsellor at Harbour View Elementary’ school, celebrated RAC week by placing construction paper hearts with positive comments on each of the 300 student desks in the school as well as all staff mailboxes in the office. Later in the week, the 30 students from Harbour View’s RAC club, baked goodies to take around to various locations in our community. They went to: Port Moody Police Station, Port Moody Firehall #1, Eagle Ride Hospital, the Poirier Public Library, the School Board office, the Coquitlam Animal Shelter where we brought food for the animals and the employees, the Poirier Sports and Leisure Centre, the Lakeshore Care Centre, Ecole Moody Middle, and Grandma Muriel’s (a school volunteer who helps the children maintain the school garden). With each delivery, they included a card wishing them a great day and they were signed by all the members of the club. It was a rewarding week, putting smiles on people’s faces!
*2nd place (2016): Lavington Elementary School, Vernon, B.C. ($150)
Colleen Harvie is the principal and submitted the second place entry. Here is her story:
Lavington is a rural school in Vernon, B.C. Our students have been participating in the Real Acts of Caring Week. We are actually doing this for two weeks. As the principal of the school I was excited to receive your poster because this speaks to what our school aims to be as a community of learners. Our mission statement is “Growing together as a caring and compassionate groups of learners.” The school has taken these past two weeks on with sincere care and compassion for others. On a rainy day last Thursday our grade 6 and 7 students went to a part of Vernon where the homeless and less fortunate people gather. They gave out hot coffee, hot chocolate and printed messages of hope and kindness. They shared their feelings and experience with the school at our Monday assembly. We are a small school of 160 students and every student is learning about giving from the heart. They have also learned is that a true act of caring is one that we do not have to share, just experience.
*3rd place (2016): Glen Elementary School, Coquitlam, B.C. ($100)
Sarah Husband is the principal of Glen Elementary School in Coquitlam. They celebrated RAC Week by collecting and donating packaged goods to the SHARE Society.
Welcome to Real Acts of Caring (RAC)
It's about doing something kind for another and not expecting anything back in return. Browse our website, learn about this inspiring group of students, and even start your own RAC club.
The next RAC Week is:
February 10 - 16, 2019! See Contest Details to see how you can win $300 for best RAC photo and story!
It feels good!
"I used to be a bully but now I RAC." Devon grade 8
RAC stands for
Real Acts of Caring
Commit kind and caring acts for our community members by giving out baked treats.
Cyber RACing - a new idea
Go out of your way to spread real, caring and kind messages in the cyber world. What a concept! See how it makes you feel :)
provides students with leadership opportunities ... like a trip to Victoria to visit with John Horgan who passed a proclamation recognizing RAC Week for all of BC in 2018.
We need your help!
We are looking for any kind of donation to help us spread RAC in our communities. See our 'contact page' for more details.
It's about doing something kind for another and not expecting anything back in return.
How can I get involved in RAC Week?